Mayor Sanders and the City of San Diego are challenging the software developer community to create new apps using city and partner data. They’re also inviting the public to share their ideas for innovative new apps.
Winners will receive $50,000 in cash prizes as well as promotional exposure. Prizes will be awarded for apps that enhance city services and quality of life for San Diegans, and that use the data in innovative ways. Submitted apps can run on the web, desktop computers, tablets, or smartphones. The public is encouraged to share application ideas related to energy, tourism, economic development, transportation, the environment, health and other areas.
The public will have one month to share ideas for San Diego apps they’d like to see created. Developers will have approximately three months following the challenge launch to build their submissions. A panel of distinguished judges from the tech industry, venture capital, and partner institutions will select winners, and the general public will vote to identify two “Popular Choice” winners.
*Stimulate the creation of innovative apps that enhance city services and help San Diego residents, businesses and visitors.
*Raise awareness of City of San Diego and partner data resources, and engage the public and software developers to help the community.
$47,500 in prizes
AT&T Best Overall App — Grand Prize
Best Overall App — Second Prize
Best Overall App — Honorable Mention
City of San Diego Government Innovation App
SDG&E Best Energy App
Popular Choice Award — Grand Prize
Popular Choice Award — Second Prize
Best Student-Created App (Undergraduate)
Best app developed by full-time college student(s)
Large Organization Recognition Award
Recognition prize for organizations with 50 or more employees
City and Partner Talent Award
Recognition prize for employees of the City of San Diego and competition partners
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
- Create an account on SDAppsChallenge.com or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On SDAppsChallenge.com, click Accept this challenge to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Explore the San Diego data. To suggest datasets you would like to see included, follow the instructions on the Data tab. Datasets may be added until February 15, 2012.
- Create a working software application that uses at least one dataset from the San Diego data.
- Confirm that you have read and agree to the Official Rules, and submit your application by including a link to it, a video demonstrating how it works, a text description, and at least one photograph.
Chief Information Officer, San Diego Gas & Electric
Chairwoman, San Diego Foundation; Executive Vice President & Chief of Staff, San Diego Housing Commission
Tech/Startup Writer, Speaker and Consultant
e-Government expert, founder of GovPartner, entrepreneur
President Tech Coast Angels; Chairman, Capital Formation Committee of CleanTECH San Diego
Director, New Technology Product Development Engineering, AT&T
Managing Partner, Mission Ventures
Co-founder of Saambaa
Quality of the Idea
Creativity and originality
Implementation of the Idea
How well the idea was executed by the developer, user experience and design
Potential to improve services and quality of life for San Diego residents, businesses and visitors
Impact on Quality of and Access to Government
Only for the City of San Diego Government Innovation App Award
Potential Impact on Energy Efficiency
Only for the SDG&E Best Energy App Award